FIFA has rejected Suarez’s request to reduce hist long suspension which will not allow him to play for Uruguay until 2016. FIFA has confirmed to ESPN FC that any further appeal will not be considered, with the disciplinary panel’s verdict final.
FIFA spokesperson said: “As the decision in the relevant case was final and binding, FIFA was not in a position to enter into the merits of the recent request submitted by the Uruguayan FA and Luis Suarez.”
Appeals to both FIFA and the Court of Arbitration for Sport both proved unsuccessful last year. The Uruguayan Footballers’ Union also said it was considering a further appeal following allegations of corruption within FIFA.
The Barcelona striker, punished for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at last year’s World Cup, wrote a formal letter to world football’s governing body earlier this month in the hope of seeing his ban reduced.
Suarez served a four-month ban from all football, which saw him miss the first two months of his debut campaign with Barcelona. He was also told he could not play for Uruguay for nine competitive matches, and he has already sat out five games.
Suarez missed the Copa America where Uruguay reached the quarter finals of the competition before losing to host nation chile.
In his letter, Suarez appealed to FIFA, citing his good behaviour this past season — he was not sent off in any games for Barca in all competitions. He scored 17 goals in 26 appearances for the Blaugrana to help the club win a Primera Division, Copa del Rey and Champions League treble.
Suarez will miss Uruguay’s first four 2018 World Cup qualifiers. The 28-year-old will be banned for games against Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and chile but can return to action when Uruguay travel to Brazil for their fifth qualifier on March 21, 2016.
Suarez is Uruguay’s all-time leading scorer with 43 goals and has won 82 caps since making his senior debut with La Celeste in February 2007.